Monday, July 22, 2013

fight in silence

1 1/2 oz Rhum Clément VSOP
1 oz Amaro Ramazzotti
1 oz Orange Juice
1/2 oz Brown Sugar Syrup (*)
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe. Garnish with an orange twist.
(*) Tony prefers brown sugar syrup, but only burnt sugar syrup was available at the bar that night.

Two Tuesdays ago, I ventured down to Stoddard's and found some standing room at the end of the bar along with a menu. Soon after, I was greeted by bartender Tony Iamunno and I commented that the Fight in Silence had his name written all over it. Tony was curious as to how I knew it was his creation, and I replied that it shared some similarities to the Blood of My Enemies that he crafted last summer both in name and in ingredients.
The Fight in Silence's orange twist greeted the nose and prepared the senses for the orange flavors to follow. A creamy orange and caramel sip was followed by a grassy rum swallow. After the rum notes, there was a bitter herbal and dark caramel finish that came across almost cherry-like at times.

No comments: