Friday, July 26, 2013

company swizzle

1 oz Del Maguey Espadin Especial Mezcal
1 oz Lustau Amontillado Sherry
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Velvet Falernum
1/2 oz Housemade Ginger Syrup

Build in a Collins glass, add crushed ice, and swizzle to mix and chill. Garnish with mint sprigs, Fee's Whiskey Barrel Bitters, and Bittermens Mole Bitters; add a straw.

Two Sundays ago, I started my adventure by attending a talk at Russell House Tavern; Maggie from Privateer Rum was speaking to the staff about the distillery and the rum in preparation for her talk at Tales of the Cocktail that week. She also brought bottles of rather elegant sugar cane spirit-based gin and teased us with talk of Privateer's navy strength rum that might be out by the Fall. Afterwards, I headed down Mass Ave and stopped into the Hawthorne. There, I found a seat in front of bartender Carrie Cole. When I started looking at the Swizzle section of the menu, Carrie mentioned that Katie Emmerson had created a Swizzle earlier in the week that she was quite excited about.
Once Katie's Company Swizzle was mixed, it offered a mint, chocolate, and cinnamon aroma. A grape and citrus sip led into a smokey mezcal swallow that played nicely with the sharp ginger notes from the syrup. Overall, it came across like a gussied up Tombstone Mule.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy the blog. And this is hands-down my favorite drink of the year (I make it with Los Danzantes Reposado, mmm).