Wednesday, February 1, 2017

christmas in prison

2 oz Laird's Apple Brandy
1/4 oz St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
1/4 oz Vanilla Syrup
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice, strain into a 10 oz beer glass with 4 oz Coors Banquet Beer. Top with ice and garnish with a lemon twist.

After my stop at Rye, I continued on to the Silver Dollar in Butchertown. When I had asked the bartender at Rye how much a two bedroom apartment runs in Louisville, he gave the highs and lows and told me that he paid around $800 for a place in Butchertown, and he was lucky for the wind blew the right way. In the mile and a quarter walk to the Silver Dollar, I quickly understood what he meant for the neighborhood's name reflects the present, not just the past. While the Highlands were the "Keep Louisville Weird" section, the Butchertown bars had a similar but very different comfortable vibe; it was more of a neighborhood and industry-friendly part of town.
For a first drink, I asked the bartender for the Christmas in Prison. When I inquired about the recipe, I was greeted with the statement that it was "in her contract not to tell the recipes." This took me back for a second, but I had already watched her jigger the drink and was confident that my taste buds and drink-building sense could confirm or approximate the amounts. For example, the allspice dram and vanilla both were partial fills on a 1/2 oz jigger and I figured that this was akin to Don's Spice #2. In the glass, the lemon twist provided most of the aroma, and the sip was carbonated and malty with a hint of citrus. Finally, the swallow was apple, allspice, and vanilla flavors. For my next round, I requested a local porter and a Heaven's Hill Bonded pour; I was alerted that the Bourbon special of the night was $3 for a J.T.S. Brown bonded pour. Yes, indeed. And in homage to the aromas on the walk over (and not the staff), "That'll do pig, that'll do."

No comments: