Saturday, February 25, 2017

down for the count

1 oz Berkshire Greylock Gin
1 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Cherry Heering
1/2 oz Campari
10 drop St. George Absinthe
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a rocks glass, fill with ice, garnish with an orange twist, and add straws.
For a Cherry Heering-themed week of drinks of the day at Loyal Nine two weeks ago, I was inspired by my previous night's offering of Remember the Alamo to merge the classic Remember the Maine with the Negroni. Actually, I originally wanted to keep the whiskey base and merge it with the Boulevardier, but I could not think up a good name for the combination. However, the idea of paying homage to Count Camillo Negroni and to sinking ships popped into my head, and I took the gin direction with Down for the Count. Moreover, I kept the Punt e Mes from Remember the Alamo for I felt that it would connect the Campari to the Cherry Heering better than regular sweet vermouth.

No comments: