Saturday, February 25, 2017

cubanola

1 jigger Bacardi (1 1/2 oz Havana Club 7 Year Rum)
1/3 Pineapple Juice (1 oz)
1 tsp Cream (3/4 oz Half & Half)
1 dash Cointreau (1/4 oz)

Stir and fill with aerated waters (shake with ice and strain into a Fizz glass with 1 oz soda water). Decorate with slices of pineapple and orange (omit).

Two Saturdays ago, I returned to Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 to make a recipe that I had spotted earlier in the week called the Cubanola. The drink was in the rum chapter's Sling section, but I interpreted the recipe more like a Fizz; the flavor combination was reminiscent of both the Hawaii Cocktail and the Painkiller. While the name inspired me to reach for my bottle of Cuban rum, the Cubanola is actually a flowering plant from the Dominican Republic and eastern Cuba.
The Cubanola began with an orange and pineapple bouquet that led into a creamy, carbonated pineapple and orange sip. Next, rum and further orange flavors filled the swallow. I felt that the texture and appearance would have only been improved if I had heavy cream in the house, but it was definitely delightful with Half & Half.

No comments: