Monday, February 13, 2017

kongo jungle

1 oz Blackwell Jamaican Rum
1 oz JM Rhum Agricole Gold
1/2 oz Allspice Dram
1 oz Banana Syrup (*)
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Shake ingredients to mix, pour into a Tiki mug, fill with crushed ice, garnish with an edible orchid and a plastic monkey, and add a straw.
(*) Perhaps muddle 1/2 to 3/4 inch of banana in 3/4 oz simple or demerara syrup. Include a fine strain step. Shaking with ice might also help to break the banana up.

Two Mondays ago, I made my way over to the new A4cade that opened two nights before in Central Square, Cambridge. After a short wait, I was allowed to enter the jam-packed room full of video games and pinball machines, and I made my way to second bar in the back where my old Russell House Tavern alums Joe Slavinski and Trevor Christian were tending bar. For a drink, I asked Trevor for the Kongo Jungle off of the Tiki section of the menu. I was a bit surprised that the banana aspect was not Giffard's Banane du Bresil but a banana syrup that donated texture as well as flavor to the libation.
The Kongo Jungle offered up a floral aroma from the orchid garnish that preceded a caramel sip from the dark rum component. Next, the swallow shared the aged rum, banana, and allspice flavors.

No comments: