Monday, May 8, 2017

elvis in swim trunks

1 1/2 oz Ron Abuelo 7 Year Rum (Barbancourt 8 Year)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Apricot Liqueur (Rothman & Winter)
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
2 dash Absinthe (1 bsp Pernod)

Shake with ice, strain into a double Old Fashioned glass with a large ice cube (Tiki mug with crushed ice), and garnish with a mint sprig.

Two Mondays ago, I replenished my pineapple juice supply so I was ready to make a drink that I had spotted on the ShakeStir site by Dean Pryor of The Gorbals in Los Angeles. The recipe was called the Elvis in Swim Trunks, and the name was partially explained with "Rum did for the Gimlet [Daiquiri?] what Elvis did for the PB & J." Overall, the combination reminded me of the Hotel Nacional Special from Charles H. Baker Jr. with a touch of absinthe in the mix.
The recipe also let me utilize the my garden's mint that has resurfaced early after a short and not too cold winter, and that garnish pleasantly greeted the nose. On the sip, the lime and pineapple juices took center stage, and the swallow was a combination of the rum, apricot, and pineapple with the absinthe flavors appearing on the finish.

No comments: