Sunday, May 21, 2017

signals, calls, & marches

1 1/2 oz Citadelle Gin
1 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
1/4 oz Licor 43
1/4 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Mondays ago, I attended the Bar Institute's Boston event held at Brass Union. After 6 solid talks, there was a charity bar night featuring three Boston bartenders serving 6 drinks named after songs written by Massachusetts artists. The one I was drawn to was the Signals, Calls, & Marches named after a Mission of Burma song, and Craigie on Main bartender Rob Ficks who mixed the drink told me that the Lush Life crew created that. When I asked Lush Life founder Lindsey Johnson about the drink, I was pointed to Lindsey Scheer who described how she and Dave Kwon created this drink along with some of the others on the list. The recipe reminded me of a Martinez with the citrus and vanilla-driven Licor 43 added in the mix.
Signals, Calls, & Marches gave forth an orange oil aroma over grape and vanilla notes. Next, the grape continued on into the sip where it mingled with the Maraschino's cherry, and the swallow shared gin, nutty, vanilla, and clove flavors.

1 comment:

Dagreb said...

I found this to be a delightful and evolving drink. Intense and brash at first, soothing and sweet as it warmed.