Thursday, May 11, 2017

revenge of the lawn

1 1/2 oz Berkshire Ethereal Gin
1/2 oz Green Tea Syrup
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a lime "lawn" twist.
For our Spring-themed drink of the day week at Loyal Nine, I thought about my grass coming back in from its Winter slumber as well as figuring out how to fill in bare patches and do in the weeds that were also cropping up. So two Thursdays ago, I went with the grassiness of green tea syrup and the earthiness of Punt e Mes and paired those with gin botanicals to capture the green blades and the fertile dirt. For a name, I paid tribute to author Richard Brautigan and his 1971 collection of short stories entitled "Revenge of the Lawn." Perhaps Brautigan was on my mind (despite not having read any of his books in years) since I had been proofreading my new book's recipes and remembered Scott Holliday's Brautigan. The lawn theme was solidified with a lime twist that looked like either a mustache guard or a lawn as it was attached to the side of the coupe glass.

No comments: