Tuesday, February 6, 2018

escape from monkey island

1 1/2 oz Dark Rum (Plantation Original Dark)
1/2 oz Mezcal (Fidencio Espadin Joven)
3/4 oz Amontillado or Oloroso Sherry (Lustau Amontillado)
1/2 oz Orgeat
1/2 oz Crème de Banana (Giffard Banane du Bresil)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
2 dash Fee's Whiskey Barrel Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a Tiki mug, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with Tiki intent (spent lime shell with Don Q 151 proof Rum ignited).

Earlier in the month, I wrote down several ideas for January's Tiki the Snow Away event that included the Monkey Pilot and the Ginui Nui. Two Tuesdays ago, I returned to the list and decided upon the Escape from Monkey Island to test; the recipe was inspired by a hybrid of two classics -- the Test Pilot and the Mai Tai -- as well as my Kuula Hina and some other drinks I have tried. Actually, the Monkey Pilot concept came after this one on that idea list when I decided to challenge myself to craft a "monkey" drink that did not rely on crème de banana.
I split the rum base with some mezcal to instill the feeling that there was some sort of fire and destruction that needed fleeing, and it donated a smoke note to the nose along with nutty grape and lime aromas. Next, a creamy lime and grape sip ran to rum, smoky mezcal, banana, and nutty flavors on the swallow.

1 comment:

Muse of Doom said...

I really enjoyed this one! The complexity and balance teach me a lot. Though I didn't have the Banane du Bresil, Jacquin's worked and didn't seem cloying (dry oloroso may have helped with this too).