Thursday, February 1, 2018

poison dart

2 oz Bourbon (Old Granddad Bonded)
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Orgeat
1/2 oz Cynar
1/4 oz Cinnamon Syrup
1 dash Allspice Dram (1 bsp Hamilton's)
2 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe (shake with ice, strain into a Tiki mug, and fill with crushed ice). Garnish with an orange peel dart.

After my work shift two Thursdays ago, I decided to stick with the month's Tiki theme and go with another drink that I had spotted on the BarNotes app called the Poison Dart. That drink was posted by Chad Austin, and it turned out to be a vintage 2010 Craig Herman a/k/a Colonel Tiki recipe that I had considered making a year or two ago after trying Craig's Vendetta and Golden Frond. The Poison Dart somewhat reminded me of a Lion's Tail given the Bourbon, citrus, and allspice dram; however, it was the orgeat-Cynar combination that finally lured me in for it has worked well in drinks like the Aster Family Flip, Artichoke Hold, and other recipes. Interestingly, this citrus-laden drink recommended stirring with ice to mix as a silky number; however, I took it in a shaken Tiki mug direction to better fit my mood as well as the way the ingredients spoke to me.
The Poison Dart gave forth an orange oil and Bourbon aroma. Next, a creamy lemon and malt sip led into Bourbon, earthy funk, and allspice on the swallow with a cinnamon finish. The whiskey here was a touch assertive so perhaps a softer Bourbon like Four Roses would have kept a better balance. Perhaps as a stirred drink with less dilution and thus a higher sugar content, my original spirit choice might have been better.

No comments: