Tuesday, February 13, 2018

sven-tiki

1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Grenadine
1 oz Dark Jamaican Rum (Coruba)
2 oz Light Virgin Island Rum (Privateer Silver)
1/2 oz Club Soda

Shake all but the club soda with ice, pour into a Tiki mug with the soda water, and fill with ice.
For the penultimate night of Tiki the Snow Away month two Tuesdays ago, I began flipping through Beachbum Berry's Remixed for ideas that I have not tried yet. There, I honed in on Jeff Berry's 2002 tribute to Sven "Sven-Tiki" Kirsten who authored the 2000 The Book of Tiki and later a few other Tiki-themed books. Berry's combination reminded me of a Shrunken Skull with orange and pineapple juices in the mix, so I figured it would be a delightful tropical number. Once prepared, the Sven-Tiki offered a citrus, berry, and rum funk bouquet to the nose. Next, dark caramel, lime, and berry notes on the sip gave way to dark rum, orange, and pineapple flavors on the swallow.

1 comment:

SteveL said...

Tonight was the rare occasion when I had both pineapple and orange juices on-hand so I went looking for possibles.

The Sven-tiki got the nod, despite having a sweeter profile. It is definately a sweet drink, but with its sweetness coming mainly from juices, its not too cloying.

All-in-all, it was refreshing, but to my taste, a bit unbalanced on the sweet side.