Wednesday, February 21, 2018

express

1/2 Scotch (1 1/2 oz Famous Grouse)
1/3 Grapefruit Juice (3/4 oz)
1/3 French Vermouth (3/4 oz Dolin Blanc)
1 dash Ojen Bitters (1/2 bsp Herbsaint)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added a grapefruit twist.
Two Wednesdays ago, I reached for Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 to discover any passed over recipes worth exploring. When I came across the Express, I reconsidered the French vermouth as blanc instead of dry, and soon the recipe reminded me of the Bohemian with the grapefruit, floral element (blanc vermouth here and St. Germain there), and anise-driven bitters. With Scotch, grapefruit juice, and a sweetener, it also made me think of the Polly's Special. Once shaken and strained, the Express gave forth grapefruit oil over Scotch on the nose. Next, grapefruit and white grape notes on the sip led into Scotch, floral, and anise flavors on the swallow.

No comments: