Wednesday, September 20, 2023

four by four

3/4 oz Smith & Cross Rum
3/4 oz Senior Dry Curaçao (Pierre Ferrand)
3/4 oz split Ginger/Honey Syrup (3/8 oz each)
3/4 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.
Two Wednesdays ago, I re-read Robert Simonson's article on Boston's number name cocktails that he wrote after purchasing my first book Drink & Tell: A Boston Cocktail Book at The Boston Shaker Store. What I missed last November was that Jackson Cannon left a comment a few days later to add on the Four by Four (a/k/a 4x4) that Katie Emmerson created at the Hawthorne. Its honey-ginger syrup fondly reminded me of the Juju Man that I made a few nights before, and with Smith & Cross in the mix, how could I resist? In the glass, the Four by Four donated caramel, rum funk, and orange aromas to the nose. Next, lemon, caramel, and honey notes on the sip traversed into funky rum, tropical, orange, and ginger flavors on the swallow.

No comments: