Tuesday, September 26, 2023

a kidnapped drink

1 1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
3/4 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz split Ginger-Honey Syrup (3/8 oz each)
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a spritz of Angostura Bitters (4 drops).
After writing up a Penicillin riff called the Juju Man, I became inspired to riff on its citrus, honey, ginger aspect. I mashed up this concept with the Cynar-Chartreuse The Drink of Laughter and Forgetting and named it A Kidnapped Drink after another Milan Kundera work, A Kidnapped West. I originally made it with the lemon juice common to most Penicillin riffs, but the Green Chartreuse called out for lime; I remade it that way, and my hunch was correct. With lime, the nose proffered the allspice and clove from the bitters garnish and herbaceuous accents from the Chartreuse. Next, caramel and lime on the sip were absconded by herbal, ginger, honey, herbaceous, and clove flavors on the swallow.

No comments: