Sunday, September 10, 2023

loaded pistol

1 1/2 oz Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida)
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
1/2 oz Strega
1 dash Grapefruit Bitters (Scrappy's Black Lemon)

Stir with ice and strain into an old fashioned glass with ice and rimmed (*) with grasshopper salt (regular salt).
(*) I later found on the Bartender at Large page on Facebook has the bar sprinkled grasshopper salt over the ice cube.
Two Sundays ago, I was scanning through the online flashcards for the Raised By Wolves bar, and I spotted the Loaded Pistol by Erick Castro at Polite Provisions in 2019. The structure with Strega in the mix reminded me of Chris Hannah recipes like the Night Tripper and Rebennack, so I was intrigued. I was able to confirm the recipe on Difford's Guide which specified that the garnish of grasshopper salt was a rim (unclear application on the flashcards); I later found on Erick's Bartender at Large page on Facebook, that it was a sprinkle on top of the ice. Without the grasshopper aspect in play, the Loaded Pistol shot forth with a smoke and red fruit aroma to the nose. Next, cherry and red grape notes on the sip recoiled into smoky agave and Strega's herbal-spice flavors on the swallow.

No comments: