Wednesday, September 6, 2023

heck fire

1 oz Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida)
1 oz Blanc Vermouth (Dolin)
1/2 oz Aged Pot Still Rum (Smith & Cross)
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse

Stir with ice, strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Wednesdays ago, I needed a nightcap after my bar shift so I turned to the Bartender's Choice app. There, I uncovered the Heck Fire by Sam Ross at Nashville's Attaboy circa 2019, and the mezcal, blanc vermouth, and Green Chartreuse components reminded me of Sother Teague's version of the Disco Ball, but here with the aged rum instead of Yellow Chartreuse. In the glass using Smith & Cross as the rum choice, the Heck Fire gave forth smoke, vegetal, and tropical funk aromas. Next, a semi-sweet white grape sip stepped aside for smoky, vegetal, herbaceous, caramel, and rum funk flavors on the swallow.

No comments: