Sunday, March 17, 2024

long look back

1 oz Woody Creek Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse)
3/4 oz Toki Whisky (Kavalan Classic)
3/4 oz Amaro Braulio
1/2 oz Demerara Syrup 1:1
3 dash Angostura Bitters

Build in a double old fashioned glass, add a large ice cube, stir to mix and chill, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Sundays ago, I pulled up a recipe from Punch magazine in their article on Manhattan variations called the Long Look Back by Kacie Lambert at Stay Gold in Manhattan. Although this felt more like a Toronto variation than a Manhattan, I was definitely in the mood for a Braulio cocktail, and the combination reminded me a little of the Peloni. Once assembled, the Long Look Back welcomed the nose with orange, caramel, pine, and clove aromas. Next, the caramel continued on into the sip where it was chased by rye spice, minty, caramel, pine, and clove flavors on the swallow.

1 comment:

sc'Que? said...

My gods what an incredibly elegant cocktail build! This is a traditional January cocktail for me. And I'm sure you don't need to trust me when I say that customers come back asking for it MONTHS later!

Due to product availability issues in Pennslvania, I sub in Amaro Alta Verde for the Braulio. In my mind, The Long Look Back is a split JP/PA whisk(e)y Old-fash'd... with a bracingly verdant amaro float.