Thursday, March 21, 2024

prodigal son

2 oz Evan Williams 1783 Bourbon (Evan Williams Bonded)
1/2 oz Amaro Ciociaro
1 tsp Crème de Peche (Mathilde)
1 dash Elixir Vegetal de la Grande-Chartreuse

Stir with ice and strain into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube.

Two Thursdays ago, I returned to the online recipe flashcard set from Teardrop Lounge in Portland, Oregon, and I selected the Prodigal Son from their Spring 2023 menu. I was able to ascertain that it is an older drink than that via a mention on Yelp dating back to Summer 2021. I was drawn in for it would give me a reason to crack open my bottle of Elixir Vegetal that I got at the launch party held at Atlantico last November; Elixir Vegetal is akin to bitters that taste like Green Chartreuse but are not a direct substitute for that hard-to-find liqueur. I first tried Elixir Vegetal dashed onto a sugar cube in a spoon circa 2010 at Eastern Standard back when the product was categorized as a medicine and not allowed to be legally imported into the country; recently, they changed its categorization to fill the gap in the market for things that taste like Chartreuse. In addition, since Chartreuse flavors worked well with crème de peche in the Foreward, I was keen on trying out the Prodigal Son.
The Prodigal Son arrived with a caramel, peach, and herbaceous bouquet. Next, caramel on the sip gave way to Bourbon, peach, dark orange, and herbaceous flavors on the swallow.

1 comment:

Adam said...

What is this "online recipe flashcard set" for Teardrop Lounge you're referring to?