Thursday, March 28, 2024

raining on 110th st

1 1/2 oz Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey
1 1/2 oz Vermouth Blend (1 1/8 oz Cocchi Sweet Vermouth + 3/8 oz Punt e Mes)
5 dash Coffee Tincture (1/8 oz Mr. Black Liqueur)
1/8 oz Licor 43

Stir with ice, strain into a Nick & Nora glass (coupe), and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Thursdays ago, I returned to Punch's article on Manhattan variations where I sourced the Long Look Back and found the Raining on 110th St. The recipe was crafted by Carlton Dunlap of Portland, Oregon, and the combination with Licor 43 and sweet vermouth made me think of the Signals, Calls, & Marches despite that one being a gin drink instead of rye whiskey. Although the article did not specify, the cocktail could be named for the Los Lobos song "Wicked Rain / Across 110th Street". Once prepared, the Raining on 110th St began with an orange and vanilla nose. Next, a grape-driven sip trickled into rye, coffee, vanilla, and herbal flavors on the swallow.

1 comment:

sc'Que? said...

I absolutely ADORE this recipe! I think the mix of ingredients sings... and quantities can be adjusted easily to the reader's liking. I've served it several times since CoViD and always to an enthusiastic clientele! We served with dehydrated orange to symbolize those last few fallen leaves that still seem to blow about in March and April--and to be sure, I really do think this is a March-April sorta drink, the hopeful counterpoint to the Autumn Leaves.

I prepare my own coffee tincture--playfully named Twede's RR Coffee Tinc--which calls for my own blend of local, dark-roast coffee... along with aged rum/s, VSOP brandy, bonded rye whiskey and gin. (Yes, I use all of the spirits in which this tincture would most likely accent a cocktail.) If you're not up to making your own coffee tinc, I recomment 1/8th-oz of St.George NOLA chicory-coffee liqueur.