Wednesday, September 4, 2024

black pearl

1 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Planteray 5 Year Barbados Rum (Doorly's 12 Year)
1/2 oz Appleton Signature Rum
3/4 oz Amaro Montenegro
1/4 oz Fernet Branca
1 spritz Absinthe (8 drop St. George)

Build in an old fashioned glass, add ice, and stir to mix and chill.
Two Wednesdays ago, I spotted a drink on the Reddit cocktails forum for the Black Pearl from Charlie Was a Sinner in Philadelphia that intrigued me. The recipe was posted by user Gordonf23 who was provided the information by a bartender there. The combination of Amaro Montenegro and Fernet Branca was one that worked amazingly well in Backbar's Scarecrow and that I later used in my Songs My Mother Taught Me. Moreover, the combination of rum, Punt e Mes, and Montenegro reminded me of Erick Castro's Blood of My Enemies, so I was excited to try this out with Fernet and absinthe in the mix. In the glass, the Black Pearl opened up with a caramel, rum, and herbal bouquet. Next, grape, caramel, and orange notes on the sip formed into rum, minty, herbal, and anise flavors on the swallow that later gained a menthol and clementine aspect as the ice diluted the mix.

No comments: