Saturday, September 21, 2024

prima donna

3/4 oz Amontillado Sherry (Lustau)
3/4 oz Lustau East India Solera Sherry
3/4 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
2 dash Angostura Bitters
2 dash Orange Bitters (Scrappy's)

Stir with ice, strain in to a Nick & Nora glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Saturdays ago, I had replenished my lemon stock and decided to make a recipe that I had spotted a few days prior in A Quick Drink: The Speed Rack Guide to Winning Cocktails for Any Mood written by Lynnette Marrero and Ivy Mix. That drink was the Prima Donna by Tess Anne Sawyer while at Mother's Ruin in Manhattan that she made at the 2015 Speed Rack competition for the dealer's choice round. She described how "during that time, I had recently discovered the Adonis and Bamboo Cocktails, and I was in love with them", so she mashed them up. I too had tinkered with a split sherry-split vermouth cocktail in the Improved Bamboo but I opted for Fino and blanc vermouth instead of the cream sherry and sweet vermouth. Here, the Prima Donna launched off with lemon, plum, and raisin aromas. Next, a semi-dry grape sip lapsed into complex grape, nutty, clove, and orange flavors on the swallow.

No comments: