Sunday, September 22, 2024

buscabulla

3/4 oz Privateer Navy Yard Rum
3/4 oz Fino Sherry (Tio Pepe)
3/4 oz Punt e Mes
3/4 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz Ginger-Honey Syrup
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a dehydrated lime wheel (fresh lime wheel).
Two Sundays ago, I opened up the Hawthorne bar bible to see if there were any recipes that I had not made yet. There, I spied the Buscabulla attributed to bartender John Rodriguez that reminded me a little of Cane & Table's Death & Sundries given the Fino sherry, rum, and lime components. The drink was subtitled on the menu "Vamos al mambo, comienza bailando (Let's go mambo, start dancing)" which are lyrics of the song Tártaro from the tropical synthpop band Buscabulla. Once mixed the Buscabulla gave forth a dark grape, lime, and ginger bouquet to the nose. Next, lime and honey notes on the sip cavorted towards rum, bitter herbal grape, savory, and ginger flavors on the swallow. Overall, the combination reminded me of the Rum Manhattan meets Daiquiri number, the Fig Leaf. When asked on Instagram if I would alter anything from the equal parts format, I replied, "I felt that I wanted more rum presence. The Fino sherry was also a subtle note in the background. Punt e Mes, lime, and honey were driving a lot of the flavor balance."

No comments: