Friday, July 17, 2015

danger zone

1 1/2 oz Old Monk Rum
1/2 oz Batavia Arrack
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Build in a Collins glass, fill with crushed ice, and swizzle to mix and chill. Garnish with 3 lime wheels submerged along the side of the glass, a mint sprig, and freshly grated nutmeg.
For a shift drink, one of the owners Dan often asks me to make him a Swizzle. Earlier one evening, I had made Matt Schrage's Soekarno for a guest who liked funky rums and herbal liqueurs. Therefore, I took the basics of that drink and added Angostura Bitters to match how I would make a rum-based Junior. For garnishes, I borrowed the three submerged lime wheel concept from Ashish Mitra's Eye of the Storm and the mint with grated nutmeg from Sean Maher's Jersey Isle Julep. The prototype came out so well that it made the Yacht Rock Sunday menu on the 5th with the subtitle "a Swizzle as your wingman."

No comments: