Wednesday, July 15, 2015

the count's swizzle

1 1/2 oz Pisco (Macchu Pisco)
3/4 oz Campari
1/2 oz Velvet Falernum
1/2 oz Strega
3/4 oz Lemon Juice

Build in a Collins glass, fill with crushed ice, and swizzle to mix and chill. Garnish with a lemon peel.

A few Fridays ago, I decided to make a drink that I spotted first on ShakeStir called the Count's Swizzle. Seattle bartender Scott Diaz won the West Coast flash competition on that site for Negroni Week, and I was reminded of the recipe when he posted it on his blog, Shake, Strain, & Sip. Despite it having strayed from a Negroni save for the Campari, I was definitely intrigued!
The Count's Swizzle began with a lemon aroma from the suggested garnish and a peppery one from the nasturtium flowers I added. Lemon with hints of orange from the Campari on the sip changed into earthy pisco, bitter Campari, herbal Strega, and falernum spice on the swallow. Overall, it reminded me of a more intense Exhibition Swizzle with extra bitter and herbal flavors here.

No comments: