Tuesday, July 21, 2015

rum keg

4 oz Lemon Juice (2 oz)
2 oz Pineapple Juice (1 oz)
1 oz Apricot Liqueur (1/2 oz Rothman & Winter)
1 oz Passion Fruit Syrup (1/2 oz)
1 oz Simple Syrup (1/2 oz)
1 oz Dark Jamaican Rum (1/2 oz Coruba)
5 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum (2 1/2 oz Caliche)

Blend 20 seconds with 16 oz of crushed ice and pour either into a communal keg or individual barrel mugs to serve 2-4 people. Here, I halved the ingredients to serve 1 person; moreover, I shook with ice cubes and strained over crushed ice instead of blending. I garnished with mint and trumpet vine flowers.
Two Fridays ago after my shift, I turned once again to Beachbum Berry's Remixed and found myself in a section of communal drinks offered by Trader Vic restaurants. The one that called out to me that night was the Rum Keg from the 1950s. Since 6 ounces of rum seemed a bit daunting as I could not rouse Andrea from sleep with the call of "Tiki-Tiki," I therefore, halved the recipe for personal consumption. In the keg (or the best I could do with a keg-like Tiki mug), it shared a mint and floral aroma. Tart lemon and orchard fruit on the sip led into rum, passion fruit, apricot, and pineapple on the swallow. Overall, it was an easy fruit-driven drink with no one fruit flavor taking dominance here.

No comments: