Saturday, July 11, 2015

royal funchal yacht club (come sail away)

1 1/2 oz Blandy's 5 Year Sercial
1/2 oz Clement Creole Shrubb
1/2 oz Velvet Falernum
1/2 oz Lime Juice
Simple Syrup to taste (1/4 oz) (*)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist.
(*) With a sweeter Madeira like Bual or Malmsey, no simple syrup would be needed.
For a drink idea for Loyal Nine's Yacht Rock Sundays, I thought about riffing on the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club that first appears in my library in Crosby Gaige's 1941 Cocktail Guide & Ladies' Companion and became more standardized in Trader Vic's 1947 book. Here, I was inspired by a cocktail I requested from Palmer Matthews at Drink for a sherry version of a Tiki or tropical recipe since sherry can often substitute for rum in these recipes. He, of course, selected the Trader Vic classic and I dubbed it the Royal Cadiz Yacht Club. Since sherry and Madeira have some similarities in balance, I figured it was worth a shot. For Yacht Rock Sunday that week, we ran out of mixing Malmsey, so I utilized our mixing Sercial Madeira and supplemented the mix with a touch of simple syrup. While Royal Funchal Yacht Club is what I would call this outside of Yacht Rock Sundays, for the event, it was called "Come Sail Away."

No comments: