Tuesday, July 21, 2015

blackbeard's ghost

1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Lemon Juice
1 oz Falernum (BG Reynolds)
1/2 oz Apricot Liqueur (Rothman & Winter)
1/2 oz Demerara Rum (Lemon Hart 151)
1 1/2 oz Light Virgin Island Rum (Denizen)
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice and pour into a Double Old Fashioned glass. Garnish with an orange slice speared to a cherry with a pirate flag pick.

Two Saturdays ago, I stayed with my post-shift Tiki trend and turned to Beachbum Berry's Remixed for some more rum and garnish fun. The Blackbeard's Ghost seemed like a good variation on the flavors in the previous night's Rum Keg. This drink recipe was based on the Pirate's Grog from Blackbeard's Galley in Newport Beach, California; while there is no date associated with the original libation, the Galley gave up the ghost in the 1980s. I wrote about one of the drink's predecessors that called for sour mix that appeared in Beachbum's Grog Log when I had it made for me by Brother Cleve back in 2011. While I have seen pirate boat garnishes before, I was inspired by an Instagram from the night before from Tom Grayling; however, I did not set this boat on fire like he did in the next Instagram shot.
After the ship was sailing, the Blackbeard's Ghost gave forth orange and mint aromas. Orange, apricot, and caramel on the sip pleasantly shifted to a rum, apricot, clove, and lime peel swallow.

No comments: