Sunday, July 5, 2015

night watch

1 1/2oz Ransom Old Tom Gin
1/2 oz Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
3/4 oz Lustau East India Solera Sherry
1 tsp Simple Syrup
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.

A few Mondays ago, I turned to my copy of the Death & Co. Cocktail Book after having neglected it for so long until I was reminded of its gems with the Scotch Lady. For an appropriate nightcap, I skipped to the various stirred sections. The one that presented itself was the Night Watch that Jessica Gonzalez concocted in 2011. She described that while "a lot of the guys like to name drinks after songs or movies, I prefer works of art like this Rembrandt painting." And a work of art in my belly seemed right on point.
The Night Watch gave forth dark molasses aromas with hints of grape. Most of the grape notes came through on the sip, and the swallow presented juniper, raisiny sherry, molasses, and spice elements that combined to form a deep, dark, and satisfying finish.

No comments: