Sunday, October 25, 2015

'i'iwi bird

2 oz Privateer Tiki Gin
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Aperol
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a coupe glass.
The drink that I began with at No. 9 Park was the 'I'iwi Bird which bartender Ryan Lotz described as Jenna Rycroft's tribute to one of the more recognizable birds in Hawaii, the brightly colored honeycreeper. The ingredients list and name reminded me somewhat of a Jungle Bird and variations thereof, so I was definitely intrigued. In the glass, the 'I'iwi Bird shared passion fruit aromas colored by the Aperol notes. Next, a fruit punchy and lime sip transitioned into gin, passion fruit, and a slightly bitter tinge from the Aperol on the swallow. Without the pineapple, the 'I'iwi Bird definitely had a different feel from the Jungle Bird family and reminded me more of a passion fruit Of Shoes and Ships.

No comments: