Thursday, October 29, 2015

millers river milk punch

4 oz High Lawn Farms Jersey Cow Whole Milk
1 1/2 oz Old Monk Rum
1/2 oz Cinnamon Syrup
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Top with ice cubes and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
For Loyal Nine's upcoming brunch, I was tasked to develop some brunch drinks. While I wanted to do a Ramos Gin Fizz variation, I know how busy brunch can get and how long those drinks take to make (besides clean up afterwards). Instead, I began to hone in on the dairy aspect and considered the milk punch. No, not the Mary Rocket clarified ones, but the 1862 Jerry Thomas ones that more resemble White Russians and have a long history of New Orleans brunch drinks especially at Brennan's Restaurant. For a name, I turned to a nearby Colonial era river that provided transport between commercial sites and made up the boundary of Cambridge and Somerville before it was mostly filled in with landfill. Perhaps it is also a tribute to our neighbors across the street in the Millers River Apartments who provide local color to our windows' view.

1 comment:

Excommish said...

Frederic,
I think this tasty as a dessert drink. Next time I make it I may do part whole milk and part half and half just to give it a little more "body".