Saturday, October 31, 2015

surfer rosa

1 1/2 oz Berkshire Mountain Distiller's Greylock Gin
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Honey Syrup
1/2 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a Collins glass containing 2 oz of soda water. Top with ice, garnish with a grapefruit twist, and add a straw.
The final drink I created for the inaugural Loyal Nine Brunch which launches tomorrow was a Highball idea. I knew that I wanted to do something with bubbles for brunch but I was stumbling around for ideas. Last night, I thought about the syrup duo of passion fruit and honey that appears in Don's Special Daiquiri. Since I already had a pair of rum drinks, I figured that gin was the way to go, and from there, I thought about the carbonated Bee's Knees that I batched for a large event:
Carbonated Bee's Knees
• 2 oz Greylock Gin
• 1/2 oz Honey Syrup
• 1/2 oz Lemon Juice (fine strained but not clarified)
• 3/4 oz Water
• 1/4 oz Simple Syrup
Batch for one or larger (we were doing 1.8 liters or so in each 2 liter bottle), chill on ice, and carbonate to 40-45 psi. Pour into a 4 oz glass and garnish with lemon oil.
The carbonated Bee's Knees were a hit not only for the bartender working the large book launch in the coffee shop but for the guests as well. Here, adding in passion fruit flavors and making it à la minute, and all it needed was a name. I wanted to keep it tropical sounding, and the Pixies provided an album name for a song title; their prior EP would have been appropriate too with Come On Pilgrim...

No comments: