Sunday, May 23, 2021

1790

3/4 oz Aged Jamaican Rum (Smith & Cross)
3/4 oz Cognac (Pierre Ferrand Ambre)
1 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Orgeat
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Two Sundays ago, I spied my new batch of orgeat, and the Manhattan-like Martinique and Filene from Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 came to mind. I decided to take the idea and include in elements from the 1919 and Japanese Cocktails. With a split base of Cognac from the Japanese and rum from the 1919, I opted for Jamaican rum to provide some funk and dryness to the mix. For a name, I dubbed this one the 1790 -- the year that the tropical almond tree was introduced to Jamaica.
The 1790 launched off with a lemon, nutty, and floral bouquet. Next, a creamy and grape sip grew into funky rum, Cognac, nutty, earthy, bitter, and allspice flavors on the swallow. Depending on your orgeat, reducing the volume to 1/4 oz might work well, but I was happy with the balance at 1/2 oz using mine.

No comments: