Thursday, May 27, 2021

the professional

1 1/2 oz Angel's Envy Bourbon
1/2 oz Zacapa 23 Rum
1 oz Campari

Stir with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with a grapefruit twist.

Two Thursdays ago, my brand work with Angel's Envy led me to visit Offsuit located in the back space of Troquet on South in Boston's Leather District. The theme is modern Speakeasy with an entrance in the parking alley behind and a phone number to call in. I played it smart by coming at open for the small space filled up quickly. For a first drink, I ordered Angel's Envy Bourbon neat, but for my second, I asked my server for the bartender's whim using said spirit. Instead of one of his own creations, he opted for the Professional created by Benjamin Schwartz at Little Branch in 2010. The original was made with Old Grand-Dad 114° and overproof Jamaican rum, but here it was with an 86.6° Bourbon finished in port casks and a dark rum; the Campari and grapefruit twist though were kept intact.
The Professional aimed at the nose with grapefruit and caramel aromas. Next, the caramel from the dark rum mingled with citrussy notes from the Campari on the sip, and the swallow closed the show with Bourbon, rum, and bitter orange flavors. With the caramel and sweet balance of Zacapa, it functioned like a sweet vermouth pushing the combination closer to a Boulevardier. I have to imagine that the Little Branch version would be a stiffer, more aggressive, and funkier beast.

No comments: