Monday, May 3, 2021

canal

2/3 Rye Whiskey (2 oz Old Overholt)
1/3 French Vermouth (1 oz Dolin Blanc)
1 dash Orange Bitters (2 dash Angostura Orange)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a dash absinthe (8 drop St. George).
Two Mondays ago, I selected Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 for the evening's libation. Though I have scoured that book for over a decade, I spotted the Canal that I had never made before. This Manhattan with orange bitters and absinthe listed French vermouth as the aromatized wine; since Dry Manhattans have zero appeal for my palate, I opted for the sweeter blanc style. Once prepared, the Canal opened up with an anise, licorice, and minty herbal aroma. Next, a semi-sweet white wine and malt sip flowed into rye, herbal, and orange flavors on the swallow that accentuated the rye's inherent spice rather well.

No comments: