Saturday, March 5, 2022

erasmus

1 1/2 oz Gin (Beefeater at work, Bombay Dry at home)
1/2 oz Ginger Syrup
1/2 oz Honey Syrup
1/2 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice, strain into a rocks glass, fill with cracked ice, float 1/2 oz Genever (Bols), and add a straw.
Two Saturdays ago, a guest at Drink wanted a gin cocktail but described a Penicillin. Therefore, I made it as such with a London Dry in the mix and a Genever as the float. They enjoyed it so much that I made one that night when I got home. For a name, I searched around for a Dutch-themed antibiotic with little to show for my efforts, so I dubbed this one the Erasmus after a famous Dutch philosopher. Once prepared, the drink showcased a malty aroma from the hefty Genever float. Next, lemon and honey on the sip flowed into gin and ginger flavors on the swallow. Over time, the flavor became maltier on the sip and swallow as the Genever entered into the equation via the straw.

No comments: