Saturday, March 12, 2022

knight

8 part Brandy (1 1/2 oz Du Peyrat Selection Cognac)
2 part Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1 part Cointreau & Chartreuse (1/2 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao + 1/2 oz Green Chartreuse)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Saturdays ago after my bar shift, I decided to make a drink that I had serving and riffing on for my guests call the Knight. The recipe first appeared in David Embury's 1948 The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks and reads like a Side Car with Green Chartreuse or perhaps a bitters-less Champs Elysée with orange liqueur. I was familiar with the drink from reading Embury's book as well as having Todd Maul's riff called Lasky Last Night at Clio. Moreover, I had tinkered with it as a gin drink akin to the Last Word in my Knight Fizz that I did on the fly for a guest at Loyal Nine. Besides the brandy original and gin variation, I have found this combination to work well with whiskey and agave spirits too (with the latter utilizing lime instead of lemon).
Made the original way with an updated balance, the Knight met the nose with a Cognac and orange aroma. Next, lemon, orange, and caramel notes on the sip charged into Cognac and herbaceous flavors on the swallow.

No comments: