Thursday, March 10, 2022

honey bee

8 part Jamaican Rum (1 oz Smith & Cross + 1 oz Coruba)
2 part Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1 part Honey (1/2 oz Honey Syrup 1:1)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
While writing up the post about the South American Bumble Bee, I made reference to the Honey Bee from David Embury's 1948 The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks. Beneath the Bee's Knees recipe were variations including "the same drink with Jamaican rum is the Honey Bee." I had previously written about Yvonne's Honey Bee that utilized Barbados rum, pear eau de vie, and egg white, but I had never covered the classic Jamaican rum version here. True to Embury form, he had his drink spec in 8:2:1 format; I recent learned that this structure is what inspired the recipe for the Fort Point at Drink. However, I adapted the recipe to my preferred Sour formula. Once prepared, the Honey Bee buzzed by the nose with honey and rum funk aromas. Next, lemon rounded out by the honey's richness on the sip led into funky rum and floral flavors on the swallow with a lemon finish.

No comments: