Sunday, March 13, 2022

broadway nights

1 1/2 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse Bonded)
1/2 oz Mezcal (Peloton de la Muerte)
1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth (Lacuesta Rojo)
1/4 oz Green Chartreuse
1/4 oz Orange Liqueur (Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao)
1 dash Chocolate Bitters (Angostura Cocoa)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Sundays ago, I was inspired by the Green Chartreuse-Curaçao combination from the Knight to take it in a Manhattan direction. I opted for the rye-mezcal split spirit to not only bring in complexity, but I find that agave spirits work amazingly well with Green Chartreuse. My first attempt was with Punt e Mes akin to a Greenpoint or Redhook, but its added depth muddied up the flavors. I remade the drink with regular sweet vermouth and was quite pleased.
For a name, I dubbed this one the Broadway Nights given the Knight and the Manhattan influences; Broadway Nights is the name of a 1927 movie featuring Barbara Stanwyck. In the glass, it shared an orange, smoke, and herbaceous bouquet to the nose. Next, a grape sip led into rye, vegetal, smoke, and herbal flavors on the swallow with a chocolate and orange finish.

No comments: