Wednesday, November 9, 2022

corpse reviver #3

1 oz Cognac (Pierre Ferrand Ambre)
1 oz Fernet Branca
1 oz Crème de Menthe (Marie Brizard White)

Stir with ice and strain into a Nick & Nora glass.

Two Wednesdays ago, I was looking through the pages of the "Drinks of Drink" cocktail bible and became curious about the Corpse Reviver #3 subtitled the "Savoy Corpse." I have never seen the Corpse Reviver #3 in the Savoy Cocktail Book so I was definitely curious. I had previously skipped over this recipe in our database until I recently made the Apotheke which was essentially a sweet vermouth for Cognac version of this one. My curiosity led me down internet rabbit holes until I uncovered that it was crafted at the Savoy's American Bar around 20 years after the publication of the book which contained the more famous versions one and two. Wikipedia declared that, "Salvatore Calabrese states in his book Classic Cocktails that it was created by Johnny Johnson of the Savoy circa 1948, and lists it as a Corpse Reviver #3. Others believe it was invented later in 1954 by Joe Gilmore, also of the Savoy."
With the mystery solved, it was time to experience the Savoy's wonder. Here, it began with a minty aroma that led into a caramel-tinged sip from the Fernet Branca and perhaps the Cognac as well. Finally, the swallow wrapped things up with Cognac, minty, and menthol flavors. Overall, I would probably find myself drinking this more frequently after a big meal than first thing in the morning after a raging evening.

1 comment:

Two Magoos Tiki Bar said...

This is one of my favorite cocktails, particularly after a large meal. I first had it at Eastern Standard Kitchen around 2013. They smartly added a couple of dashes of Xoaxacan Mole bitters, which gives the drink a little
Andes Candy chocolate/mint vibe. Stellar.