Wednesday, August 7, 2024

bumbo

1 1/2 oz Aged Rum (R.L. Seale 10 Year)
1/4 oz Smith & Cross Rum
1/2 oz Varnelli Punch Fantasia
2 dash Scrappy's Lime Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with a grapefruit twist.
Two Wednesdays ago, I stopped into a local liquor store on my way home, and I spotted a possibly mismarked price sign for Punch Fantasia at the undervalued price of $18 for the liter. While I did not know of too many recipes to make with it, it was too good of a price to pass up. Punch Fantasia is an unusual liqueur with caramelized fruits, citrus peel, toffee, vanilla, roasted coffee, and nut flavors and aromas infused into a rhum agricole base. When I got home, I was able to find an Imbibe article from 2019 with a trio of recipes, and I honed in on the Bumbo by Sother Teague at Amor y Amaro in Manhattan. I merged that drink spec with his 2016 Instagram post which had the addition of Smith & Cross and a grapefruit twist. In the glass, the Bumbo shared a grapefruit, butterscotch, and pecan nose. Next, caramel notes on the sip sailed into funky rum, hazelnut, and lime flavors on the swallow.

No comments: