Tuesday, August 27, 2024

daddy issues

1 1/2 oz Buffalo Trace Bourbon (Evan Williams Bonded)
3/4 oz Averna
1/4 oz Cherry Heering
1/4 oz Combier (Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao)
2 dash Angostura Bitters
Stir with ice, strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with a cherry.
Two Tuesdays ago, I uncovered a set of online recipe flashcards for Mr. Mao in New Orleans. In a September 2021 set, I latched onto the intriguingly named Daddy Issues by beverage director William Greenwell, and I confirmed it via a November 2021 drink of the week post on The Whiskey Lifestyle site that identified the creator. Given the timing, the drink was either on the opening menu in July 2021 or soon after. I described it in a comment on my Instagram post as "It's like a Black Manhattan got crossed with a Remember the Maine. Not something that I'd come up with but I'm happy to have tried this one!", and bartender Kevin Peterson replied there, "Black Manhattan meets El Presidente + bitter Cherry Heering. Open to the possibility." The combination of Cherry Heering and Averna was one that I enjoyed in the Simon, so I was game to give this one a try. In the glass, the Daddy Issues began with caramel and cherry aromas. Next, caramel and dark fruit on the sip fells aside to Bourbon, herbal, cherry, and orange flavors on the swallow.

No comments: