Tuesday, June 20, 2017

negroni on saturn

1 oz London Dry Gin (Beefeater)
1/2 oz Campari
1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/4 Orgeat
1/4 oz Falernum (Velvet)

Shake with ice, strain into a rocks glass, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with Tiki intent (here, mint sprigs but at Loyal Nine I did a lime wheel ring-cherry picked Saturn garnish as seen in below).
During Negroni Week two Tuesdays ago, I pondered gin drinks that I could do a mashup and my mind wandered over to the late 1960s Tiki wonder, the Saturn. I got excited since the combination of gin, Campari, passion fruit syrup, and lemon in the mix reminded me of Jamie Boudreau's Novara; moreover, the addition of sweet vermouth, orgeat, and falernum only seemed to add to the picture. I was so pleased with the combination that I later served it at Loyal Nine to Matt of CocktailWonk (see a link to his Instagram above) and several other guests that weekend. My first garnish pass at home was with mint sprigs, and on the way to work on Friday, I envisioned the Saturn garnish; in slower moments, those guests got the lime-cherry Saturn with a dusting of nutmeg, and during busier periods, I could only afford to do a grating of nutmeg.
The Negroni on Saturn shared mint aromas here over tropical notes from perhaps the passion fruit. Next, lemon, grape, and passion fruit conjoined into a mango-like flavor, and the swallow gave forth pine that transitioned into bitter orange with a nutty and clove finish. Note: second photo sourced from CocktailWonk's Instagram.

No comments: