Tuesday, May 4, 2021

moko jumbie

3/4 oz Overproof Jamaican White Rum (Rum Fire)
3/4 oz Cardamaro
3/4 oz Pineapple Syrup
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1 dash Absinthe (20 drop St. George)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.

In continuing on with the experimentation with the tropical notes that I discovered in Cardamaro, I decided to do a Corpse Reviver #2 riff. The pineapple notes that I was able to pull out of Cardamaro when I combined it with lemon juice and gin led me to use pineapple syrup as the other sweetener. Given the low to no proof nature of the rest of the ingredients, I figured that an overproof spirit like a funky white Jamaican rum would be necessary. Lastly, lime juice and a dash of absinthe rounded out this combination. For a name, I went with Moko Jumbie which means "healer" + "spirit/ghost" that often appear during Carnival as a masked being on stilts.
The Moko Jumbie proffered a rum funk and pineapple bouquet to the nose. Next, lime, papaya, and grape notes on the sip danced toward rum and pineapple flavors on the swallow with an anise finish.

No comments: