Saturday, March 19, 2022

am-am (amaro-amaretto) sour

1 oz Amaretto (Luxardo at work, Disaronno at home)
1 oz Amaro Averna
1/2 oz Plantation OFTD Overproof Rum
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/4 oz Simple Syrup
1 Egg White

Shake once without ice and once with ice, strain into single old fashioned or medium-large coupe glass, and garnish with orange oil from a twist.

While bartending at Drink, I had a guest that asked for a riff on an Amaretto Sour. My mind immediately went to Jeffrey Morgenthaler's The Best Amaretto Sour in the World recipe as a starting point. My problem with Amaretto Sours for me is that they are too driven by amaretto even with a high proof spirit backbone, so I split it with Averna since it seemed like it would have a complementary flavor profile yet drive the balance in a more caramel-herbal direction. While I have never made one of Morgenthaler's Amaretto Sours for myself, I have made Brad Parson's Amaro Sour that was inspired by it, and this recipe is a hybrid of the two. Since I always keep a bottle of Plantation OFTD Rum nearby my bar station for tropical drinks, I used this as the high proof structure in my mashup. My guests have returned and asked for this Amaretto Sour riff again, so I know that it has hit its mark. To keep things less confusing, perhaps dubbing it the Amaro-Amaretto (or Am-Am) Sour would be best.
Amusingly, I just re-discovered a post I did on the Amaretto Sour for a 2008 Mixology Monday event (it was my third month participating). There, I tried to make the "guilty pleasure" drink more interesting by making my own amaretto. Certainly the Amaretto Sours that I quaffed in the 1990s had neither egg whites in them nor fresh citrus (bottled sour mix was king back then in Boston). Here, when crossed with the Amaro Sour, this Am-Am Sour proffered an orange and nutty bouquet to the nose. Next, a creamy lemon and caramel sip flowed in to nutty and herbal flavors on the swallow with a rum-tinged finish.

No comments: