Friday, June 18, 2021

canongate

1 1/2 oz Scotch (Royal Brakla 12 Year)
1 1/2 oz Aperol
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Walnut Liqueur (Rosso Nocino)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a cherry.

Two Fridays ago, I removed a book from my computer desk and uncovered a note highlighting the interactions of Aperol, walnut liqueur, and Cynar. The duo of Aperol and walnut has worked great together in the Old Money and Mr. Burgess, and that got me thinking to one of my favorite nutty-Aperol combinations in the Prospect Park with Maraschino as the nutty component. Therefore, I made my riff subbing in walnut liqueur for the Maraschino and swapping the spirit to Scotch to complement the walnut element such as in the Storm King. For a name, I dubbed this one after a historic neighborhood in Edinburgh, Scotland.
The Canongate proffered a Scotch and nutty cherry bouquet to the nose. Next, grape, roast, and fruity notes on the sip shot into whisky, walnut, and bitter orange flavors on the swallow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

really 1 1/2 Aperol....?
ending in a 4 oz drink....?
or is it a typo and we need 1/2 Aperol, ending in standard 3 oz cocktail....?

frederic said...

It's based off of the Prospect Park which uses 1.5 oz as described in the text above. So yes, a 4 oz build just like Eastern Standard's drink.