Sunday, June 20, 2021

el camino

1 oz Mezcal (Fidencio)
1 oz Rye Whiskey (Redemption)
1/2 oz Benedictine
4 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Sundays ago, I was perusing the Kindred Cocktails database when I spotted the El Camino that was published in a 2015 issue of Imbibe Magazine. The drink was created at the Chestnut Club in Santa Monica, California, and it reminded me of the Don Lockwood that I had mixed up the night before. The combination of a smoky and a non-smoky spirit joined together by Benedictine and Peychaud's reminded me of Death & Co.'s Shruff's End.
The El Camino began with an orange, smoke, anise, and vegetal-herbal aroma. Next, a rich, slightly caramel sip drove into rye, smoke, herbal, and bitter cherry flavors on the swallow with a dry finish.

No comments: