Saturday, June 12, 2021

prelude to a broken arm

1 oz Cognac (Pierre Ferrand Ambre)
1/2 oz Rhum Agricole Blanc (Clement)
1/2 oz Curaçao (Pierre Ferrand Dry)
1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice, strain into a sugar-rimmed coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Two Saturdays ago, my recent writing about the Undertaker reminded me of the curaçao-Cynar combination, and that got me thinking of the Hugo Ball from 2009 that perhaps introduced me to the combination. For a direction, I opted for a Sidecar styling with some rhum agricole to keep things French and a little bit weird. Since Hugo Ball was a member of the Dada art scene, I made this a tribute to a Marcel Duchamp piece that is merely a snow shovel signed and dated by the artist; it was part of his "ready-made" series of manufactured goods that were "elevated to the dignity of a work of art by the mere choice of an artist."
The Prelude to a Broken Arm met the senses with a lemon, orange, Cognac, and caramel bouquet. Next, lemon and caramel on the sip flowed into Cognac, grassy rhum, and funky orange flavors on the swallow.

No comments: