Monday, June 21, 2021

tin city sazerac

1 oz Cognac (Pierre Ferrand Ambre)
1 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse)
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Maraschino (Maraska)
3 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a rocks glass pre-rinsed with absinthe (Kübler), and garnish with lemon oil from a twist.

Two Mondays ago, I was inspired by all of T. Cole Newton's Sazerac riffs in his Cocktail Dive Bar book such as the Night People and 3, 2, 1 Contact!. Therefore, I began to think of drinks that I could mashup into a Sazerac akin to what I did with a Green Point for the Algiers Point. Instead of that Manhattan variation as a starting point, I selected the Red Hook to merge with a Cognac Sazerac especially with how well Maraschino and absinthe work together in the Improved Cocktail.
I dubbed this one the Tin City Sazerac after the shantytown that was built in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn during the Great Depression that gave shelter to the longshoremen and sailors waiting for the economy to return. In the glass, it began with a lemon and anise aroma. Next, a grape-driven sip transformed into rye, Cognac, rounded bitter, nutty cherry, and anise flavors on the swallow.

No comments: