Sunday, May 28, 2023

is that all there is?

3/4 oz Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida)
3/4 oz Rhum Agricole (JM Blanc 100°)
1/2 oz Suze
1/2 oz Aperol
1/2 oz Lime Juice
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with grapefruit oil from a twist.
Two Sundays ago, I became inspired by the Palm Sunday while writing it up on the blog. I extracted its Suze-Aperol combination and took it in a citrus direction akin to the Square Root. For the spirit, I went with the quirky combination of mezcal and rhum agricole that I have utilized before such as in the All of Freud's Beautiful Women. For a name, Sam Ross' Too Soon? made me think of another question – that being Peggy Lee's song Is That All There Is? The result began with grapefruit oil, vegetal, herbal, and smoke aromas. Next, lime and orange notes on the sip fell into grassy, herbal, smoky, earthy, and orange flavors on the swallow with an anise finish.

No comments: